Rapture from the eyes of a Pastoralist boy.

I was barely the age of looking after calves when I joined Oletukat Primary school 33 years ago, in fact there was no this current CBC then. I was an active member of 'Village under the tree Kids Bible School'; it happened every afternoon after school, Five days a week of the normal working and school going days. It never happened on Sundays for boys because we went to look after calves.

Pastor Isaac was that Pastor of those times before prosperity gospel;  his teachings were squarely based on giving life to Christ, repentance, rapture and the end of the world.Those pastors who were more than headmasters that if wrong, especially licking sugar when send to the shop,your mom threatens to go tell him or you sleep hungry. I chose to sleep hungry even if it's noon.

One evening the teaching was on rapture. Daktari Peter, Pastor Sam, Corporal Julius(These are their current title- I have hidden half identity) and other age mates sat down silently and in a pensive mood listening to the most respected person in the village- Pastor Sunte. Then the horrifying part of the scripture was that part of the Lord coming like a thief to take his own, the ones that have been saved by the blood of the Lamb; the rest will be left to perish . Me with all my inquisitiveness asked,  "what about our cows?  The pastor answered,  the world with all its possessions will be burnt.  So even tonight,  He might come; so be ready". Who dares ask the man of God a question and a half or two questions. So we sang and left a worried lot.

For a Seven year old that was like a horror movie; tell me if I slept that night.  I kept on checking if the next boy was awake or he has been raptured (remember we slept communally).

So what happened to this kind of gospel; two things, One  pastors have realized that people are afraid of the truth; and two,  your guess is as good as mine,  that hope is expensive and every one needs hope.

I wrote this to appreciate my childhood Pastor and my age mates. Tag your village bible/Sunday school classmates.

Comments

  1. I remember those days sadaka was some coin with a hole at the center. ( Entururu)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KWS Rangers kill in cold blood two innocent Maasai Youth in Mosiro, Kajiado